AERONAUTICS.

The decision that the Aeronautical Society is to place entries in the races of the Intercollegiate Aerial Tournament calls attention to the increasing importance of aviation and the role it will play in the future. In a recent editorial, the New York Tribune states, "Undoubtedly the Intercollegiate Aerial Tournaments will receive government support. Should there be another war the colleges will be able to turn out hosts of trained eaglets of the type of Quentin Roosevelt and Hobey Baker, ready for service. Trained collegiate aviators will make the United States air service a real factor the next time it is called upon. The transcontinental intercollegiate air race is not merely a possibility but a probability in the near future."

Such views should be logical. To apply scientific principles to the development of the field of aeronautics is of common interest, and has a justifiable place in an up-to-date institution of learning. In view of the fact that an artillery unit is to be established here next fall, the College authorities might well recognize the growing science of aviation, which is so vitally allied with artillery, by adding a course in aeronautics to its curriculum. The aviators and aspiring aviators would gladly welcome such a course, and the government would doubtless further the enterprise by aiding with some of the excess planes left on its hands by the war.

In all events the Aeronautical Society deserves the support of the University in establishing itself as a permanent institution, and it should be backed in its development, financial and practical, by the earnest co-operation of the undergraduates.