Harvard's Hostess House.

COMMENT

The world waits expectantly for the official denial by Harvard University of the account of an opening of a "hostess house for students" published in yesterday's papers, and its ascription to a corrosive Yale propaganda. According to the dispatches, "one luxury is a candy kitchen where undergraduates can make fudge or taffy." A few years ago a public which took its opinion of Harvard from professional humorists would have found in this statement confirmation of all its suspicions, but football scores of 41 to 0 against Yale prepared the world for the spectacle seen in a war in which Harvard men were honorably conspicuous long before America entered, and in which the Harvard roll of service eventually exceeded, if recollection is right, that of any other American university.

Indeed, the hostess house offers first aid to the collegian in several important matters. "Free facilities for pressing clothes" may not be much appreciated on the Gold Coast, which has figured so largely in Harvard legend, but many a student will be gladdened by the news that he need no longer dispose his trousers between the mattresses when he wraps the drapery of his couch about him. Moreover, "wives of the professors will mend clothes and sew on buttons free." Why wives? If daughters of the professors could be drafted for this activity, supported if need be by young society girls whose war work is now ending, the marriage rate of Massachusetts would go up with a bound, and there would be less complaint in future about race suicide in our educated class. New York Times.