COXE'S PITCHING GREATLY STRENGTHENS YALE NINE

Hope of Championship Season Enhanced As Team Rounds Into Shape.--1st Base Weak Position.

Yale's prospects for turning out another championship baseball team this year have been considerably brightened by the acquisition of Franklin Coxe, who promises to be one of the best collegiate pitchers of many seasons. With the loss of Frank Talcott, last year's star boxman, the Eli hopes have been resting on Robinson and Selleck, neither of whom have done as well as was expected, but the splendid pitching of Coxe has given new prospects for success.

The reason for Coxe's late appearance in the Yale line-up was a lame arm, which is now in excellent condition. His greatest claim for attention lies in his recent feat of holding the Giants to seven hits while his team-mates out-hit the big leaguers.

The return of Holmes, last year's catcher, and Faherty, outfielder and captain of the 1916 Andover team, have likewise increased the strength of the team. Both have been laid up all spring with water on the knee, but are now practicing daily. Holmes, as well as being a good man behind the bat, led the Eli hitters last season.

The weakest spot on the team is at first base. Lynch is by nature an outfielder, and has not proved very satisfactory on first base. If O'Connor had not had the misfortune to break his leg, he would undoubtedly be holding that position.

Although starting the season with an errorless game, Yale has made fourteen misplays in the last three contests, but the hitting of the team has greatly improved. Holden and Gordon are leading in batting, with averages of .437 and .428, respectively. Sawyer with 30 chances at second base; Holden, with 14 in center; and Gordon, with nine in right field, are the only members of the team who have made no misplays this season.