ORGANIZE 2ND BASEBALL SQUAD

COACH DUFFY RETAINS TWENTY-EIGHT CANDIDATES FOR FIRST TEAM.

In order to be able to devote more attention to the members of the first team, and to give the substitutes more chance to practice Coach Duffy has divided the baseball men into two squads. Twenty-eight men have been retained in the first squad, including eight pitchers and three catchers. There are twenty-four men on the second squad, and it is hoped that a regular schedule will be formed for the scrub nine. The decision in this matter rests with the Athletic association, and it is believed that an announcement favorable to it will be made shortly, so that games may be arranged.

The men retained in the first squad are F. Bullard'20, C. B. Butterfield '21, H. Erb '20, W. B. Felton '19, E. H. Hardell '21, A. Horween '20, S. Johnson'20, and E. H. Stillman '21, all of whom are pitchers; A. Blair '21, T. H. Gammack '20, and C. S. Stillman'21, Catchers; R. Emmons'20, W. B. Frothingham '21. N. Eerr'19, H. P. King '21 W. W. McLeod '19 T. J. Meehan '21 M. Phinney '19 and K. W. Perkins '20 infielders: and J. L. Baldwin '21 E. L. Bigelow '21, R. H. Bond '19, P. Ellis '19, L. B. Evans'20, R. E. Gross '19, R. P. Hallowell '20, L. P. Jones '19, and H. Wiswall '18 for the outfield.

All three squads took advantage of the first day of good weather in over a week, and three games were played. Team B of the first University squad defeated team A 8-2 in a game featured by the hitting of team B in the last four innings in which 7 runs were scored: K. W. Perkns '19 starred for team B with two triples and a double out of four times at bat. M. Phinney'19 of team B did very well, hitting a triple and a single and scoring two runs.

The second University squad played a fast scrub game in which the hitting was also very heavy. The Freshman squad was broken up because of the absence of many men who were taking strength tests, but two scrub teams were chosen, and played a close game.