APPOINT JOHNSTON PROFESSOR

WILL RETURN IN FALL FROM HISTORICAL WORK WITH ARMY.

It was announced yesterday by the College Office that Assistant Professor Robert Matteson Johnston had been appointed full Professor of Modern History. Professor Johnston gave up his duties as instructor in the University in 1918 and was commissioned a major in the United States Army. He was detailed for duty with the Historical Section of the General Staff of the A. E. F. where he acted as chief until February, 1919, temporarily taking the place of the regular officer in charge. The Historical Section also forms the Operations Section of the Historical Branch of the War Department in Washington, and this Operations Section was the only one to go abroad.

The work organized by Professor Johnston, and for which he was sent overseas, related to the Historical Archives of the General Staff. With reference to his work, Professor Johnston has published "A Brief History of German tactics in 1918," and "Minor Notes on the Bulletin for Field Officers."

Will Return to College in Fall.

No historian in America and no one outside the Superior Officers of the General Staff has had an equal opportunity to study the strategical and tactical plans of the A. E. F. His section was each day provided with maps showing the daily withdrawals and additions of the German battalions on the entire Western Front. It is expected that Professon Johnston will resume his duties as instructor in the University with the beginning of the fall term.