REPEAL WAR PROHIBITION.

The country smiles. From the land of France comes the glad tidings that President Wilson is in favor of repealing the "bone dry" war measure to permit the sale of beer and light wines. Perhaps the President has learned by experience in France that the practice of drinking, if not carried to excess, produces no harmful effect. Perhaps the "no beer, no work" slogan has reached the President and has indicated to him that the laboring class craves its slightly harmful satisfaction. Perhaps Mr. Wilson has an ear to the ground for the coming 1920 elections. Who knows?

Whatever be the reason for this action, we feel that Mr. Wilson has interpreted the sentiment of the country. If the "bone dry" lid, that was set up under the pressure of war conditions, were tightly clamped on the country, there would be great grinding and jolting before the nation finally stabalized itself again. The President has acted judiciously, and we urge that Congress begin to cut the red tape as soon as possible, in order that July 1 may not be a national day of gloom.