COMBINING THE GRADUATE ORGANIZATIONS

The report of the President of the Associated Harvard Clubs to be submitted at the twenty-first annual meeting at Buffalo in June, contains a proposal for a combination of the Harvard Alumni Association, the Associated Harvard Clubs, and the Association of Class Secretaries. The plan will be submitted for ratification in the belief that a centralized organization would be better able to keep the graduates in touch with the University than the present decentralized system. In addition, such a combination would prove a more effective instrument for accomplishing graduate desires, and would unite the alumni on a more uniform basis.

The plan proposed by the President of the Harvard Clubs may not be accepted, but it is to be hoped that some similar merger will be decided upon at the meeting in June. It has long been a fault of the existing machinery that a majority of the officers of the Alumni Association have been chosen from the East, largely because the elections have been held at Commencement time and the men of the East have been present in preponderant numbers. The new organization, if put into effect, will doubtless provide a method for distributing the officers in a more representative fashion throughout the country.