SOMETHING IN THE AIR.

Whenever statistics concerning sacrifices in the war are compiled, the University feels justly proud of the contribution of her sons to this list. The latest reports show that of the six thousand college men throughout the country who gave their lives, two hundred and ninety-seven or nearly three percent were Harvard men. This total was greater than that of any other college.

On the face of such records, certain truths must be deduced. There must be something in the atmosphere created at Harvard which stimulates men's minds to do big things. Unconsciously, the idea scoffed at by many people, forces are at work continually around us which make for the production of great and brave men. And the reason Harvard is such a good training ground is because it is an exact replica, on a small scale, of the outside world. Here one meets all the outward indifference that one finds when he starts in on a business career. Here one can make a success in any number of ways, in athletics, in studies, socially, economically, even morally. But the whole course of four years is-nothing but one big competition, no matter in what field of distinction one is interested. Even the man who does nothing at all, must do that better than the majority in order to receive recognition. Harvard is no place for the mediocre man who hangs back. He must make his way in his own fashion, just the same as he would if he were fighting the world. The men who have battled their way through Harvard to the top have a good conception of the kind of opposition they must conquer in the future.