THE EBB AND FLOW OF COMPULSION.

Until recent years, Americans generally have regarded all movements the trend of which was towards compulsion with distinct apprehension. Indeed our rough individualistic pioneer, whose passing is still fresh in the minds of the older generation, looked upon government as an evil necessity, and with many misgivings as to whether it was a necessity at all. With the passing of the frontier however, this reign of blatent lawlessness came to an end, and since that time we have been confronted with a growing spirit of paternalism. During the war, when compulsion was to a large extent, absolutely essential, we saw this tendency grow, and though momentarily we find a let-up, it is clear that governmental regulation is increasing.

In the colleges, however, we find a noteworthy lack of any such tendency towards paternalism, and individualism is coming to be held more and more at a premium. But is this not simply a part of the same-trend? On the continent of Europe--especially in Germany--great national compulsion, has been accompanied by a notable encouragement of freedom in the colleges. High average intelligence has been sacrificed for the creation of a small coterie of great minds. Paternalism and the intellectual ascendency of the few have ever gone hand in hand.

If then, we are to carry on the ideals of American democracy, this paternalistic movement throughout the country must be halted. We must aim, as we have been aiming, only with ever increasing vigor, to raise the average mental power of the people through better education-- in the broadest sense of the word. Such a program can best be carried out through the colleges. Indeed a certain amount of compulsion is often an absolute necessity in our American universities. This does not mean at all that they should increase compulsion in order to force down the national lever against it. It simply means that they should actively champion real educational reforms which aim to reach the people of the country as a whole.

Paternalistic government is not yet an accomplished fact. Our aim should be to attack it at the roots before compulsion can attain a lasting foothold in the country.