1920 CREW VANQUISHED YALE BY TEN LENGTHS

ROWED HENLEY COURSE

Yale's champion Junior crew went down in defeat on Saturday afternoon when the 1920 oarsmen led the Blue to the finish by more than 10 lengths over the Henley Course on New Haven Harbor. The University Juni0rs took the lead at the start and gained steadily; but Yale was put entirely out of the running by misfortune when, with Harvard four lengths to the good at the mile mark, Kent, at No. 6 in the Eli shell, broke his oar and added a spectacular touch to the event by jumping overboard.

After a period of jockeying for position which was prolonged by the effects of a fair tide, the two crews were started by Coach Mather Abbott of Yale at about 5 o'clock. The Crimson oarsmen jumped into a slight lead at the start, and then settled down to a steady stroke that drew them rapidly ahead of their opponents. At three quarters of a mile the University class crew led by two lengths, and increased this advantage quickly until at the mile point it had two more lengths of open water to its advantage. Here Kent broke his oar and the Blue eight paddled the remainder of the mile and five-sixteenths course with seven sweeps in use. Near the finish Galt of Yale also cracked his blade, but continued rowing.

The time for the winners was 7 minutes and 50 seconds while the Elis crossed the line 1 minute later. The crews rowed as follows:

Harvard 1920.--Stroke, R. S. Salton-stall; 7, B. C. Wheeler; 6, C. e. Dickerson; 5, L. B. Sanderson; 4, E. W. Pavenstedt; 3, R. B. Williamson; 2, A. Palmer; bow, R. C. Hardy; coxswain, W. J. Louderback.

Yale 1920--Stroke, Jennings; 7, McHenry; 6, Kent; 5, Flagg; 4, Brown; 3, Cammpbell; 2, Meeks; bow, Galt; coxswain, Hochschild.