"THE HARVARD DAILY."

Undergraduate publications are becoming the craze. For now the thrilling news comes to our ears that there is to be a new college daily. The Harvard Magazine has come out with its second platform; the first for increased salaries for instructors, and the second a "new daily to fight the Crime." Yet we are unable to ascertain whether the Harvard Magazine wishes to combat the CRIMSON, or whether it has merely been induced to espouse this new cause of the unknown proposers of the Harvard Daily. The complaints against the CRIMSON, undoubtedly supplied by the threatening journalists, have been enumerated in full, and the Harvard Magazine has taken up the cry in a true progressive spirit.

If the new daily proposes to "flight the Crime," we heartily wish they would start publication at once. That the College would not tolerate as its daily paper one which expresses such sentiments as those in the Harvard Magazine and others which the seething brains of embryo-politicians have brought forth, we are fully confident. The motive of self-advertisement is perhaps too apparent to make their threat bear weight. It will doubtless amuse Cambridge to see its youngest periodical attempt to attract attention to itself by sticking out its small tongue at the CRIMSON; and we can hardly believe that the average undergraduate will sympathize with its attempts to establish a cheap and noisy paper which finds it all too easy to take an instantaneous and extreme attitude toward any new question.

"The simple truth is that it is not a representative Harvard paper." Representative of what, we ask.--And as an example of this "unrepresentative short-coming," the editors of the Magazine quote carelessness in cutting and proof-reading as though they believed that accuracy typified Harvard undergraduates. The CRIMSON has not previously been informed that it was so unrepresentative that the College is about to repudiate it and foster a new daily, which fact the Harvard Magazine has taken upon itself to declare, representing as it does the best of undergraduate thought and desires.

The Magazine has triumphantly stated that out of a total of over 125 editorials during the past year the CRIMSON has not put forth more than six unqualified opinions. Since May 27, 1918, the CRIMSON has printed 316 editorials, of which at least three out of four expressed decided and unqualified opinions, although not as radical or vindictive as those in which the Harvard Magazine evidently delights.

In regard to the "Harvard Daily," whose genesis the Magazine heralds with such obvious joy, the CRIMSON can only welcome it with misgivings. Knowing as it does the competition which a Harvard daily must meet at the hands of the Boston papers, the limitations necessarily imposed by the Faculty, and the financial difficulties which even an established paper must face, the CRIMSON feels that a "six-column" paper would need as much support from the banks of Boston as the Magazine now receives from a certain type of "instructor." The CRIMSON has been developed by such editors as George S. Mandell, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Owen Wister, Barrett Wendell, Thomas W. Lamont, W. Roscoe Thayer, Robert Bacon, and countless others. It is difficult to believe that a new and untried journal could solve the problems which these men gave much of their undergraduate careers to unravelling.

But bring on your Daily, Oh editors! The CRIMSON longs for the lists.