FRESHMAN PHYSICAL TRAINING PLAN COMPLETED

COURSE OF 15 LECTURES IN HYGIENE INCLUDED

The proposed plan for compulsory physical training for Freshmen, which has secured the approval of the Faculty and awaits the action of the Board of Governors, was announced in full yesterday. The plan was drafted by Professors R. B. Merriman '96, R. I. Lee '02 and C. N. Greenough '98 of the Athletic Committee. It does not aim to supplant organized athletics but to supplement them by furnishing to those who cannot find places on the regular Freshman or dormitory teams alternative opportunities for regular exercise and instruction in recreative sports. The normal time which each member of the compulsory athletic class would have to devote to exercise will be three hours a week. Any man participating in organized athletics would be excused from attendance at this class during the period of such participation.

The sports to be chosen for the class will be varied enough to suit the tastes of every individual, but preference will be given to out-of-door sports and competitive games. Also forms of exercise which can be kept up easily until late in life will be selected as well as those which are difficult to continue after leaving college, on account of the elaborate equipment or large number of contestants required. According to such plans, rowing, tennis, hockey, swimming, track events, and soccer will be encouraged, and in winter basketball, squash and squash racquets, boxing, fencing, wrestling and gymnasium work.

To Classify Men Upon Entrance.

At the beginning of the year all Freshmen will be classified physically. The men marked A will be qualified for any kind of physical training; they will be eligible for the athletic class or organized athletics. The men marked B will be eligible for the class but not for organized athletics except on re-examination or special considerations, while those marked C will be classed as subnormal and some form of special exercise will be prescribed for them. D men will include the physically abnormal and they will be excused from the training.

According to the proposed plan, the Professor of Hygiene, who is now Professor Roger I. Lee '02, will have general supervision of the system, aided by assistants, medical advisers, a director and assistant director to take actual charge of the athletic class, and others.

Several additions and changes in the athletic plant of the University are contemplated in connection with the above scheme. These will embrace the reclaiming of a considerable portion of the marshy ground on Soldiers Field, the conversion of the Randolph tennis court into twelve squash courts, the remodeling of Little's courts, and the construction of a temporary wooden building on the land directly back of the Freshman Dormitories to provide an additional basketball court and several small rooms for fencing, boxing, and wrestling.

Besides the required physical training for Freshmen a compulsory course in Hygiene of about fifteen lectures is planned. The topics taken up will probably be mental hygiene, sexual hygiene, care of the body in its various aspects, elements of sanitation, and the essential facts of exercise and fatigue.