YALE STRONG IN FIELD EVENTS

CHARACTER OF TRACK MATERIAL DEPENDS ON CONDITION OF REED, MILER.

Results of the spring track meet held at New Haven on Saturday in order to establish a basis for the selection of the aggregation to compete against the University and Princeton, seem to indicate that, although the Eli team will be well above the average in the field events, there will be an unusual weakness on the track.

Landon, who won the high jump at the Penn. Relay Carnival with a leap of six feet, will be a strong contender for that event in the coming meets. Ford, Sweeney, and Parker, in the pole vault, compose a trio all of whom have been clearing the bar at twelve feet. Ford and Sweeney have done even a trifle better than that in practice. Ford, Reche, and Cowles have been clearing twenty feet in the broad jump, Ford having reaped twenty-two feet in a practice trial. With Captain Jim Braden, of the Eli team, putting the short forty-six feet, and with Carter Gale nearly forty-four, Yale should win two places in this event in any meet. Galt is Yale's best entry in the hammer-throw, but Otis, the former football tackle, is also a probable point winner in this event. Acosta, Vorys, Morris, and Captain Gates of the football team also form a fine field of weight throwers.

Track Material Doubtful.

In the track events, much of Yale's strength depends on the physical condition of Harvey Reed, the mile runner, and Walter Schleiter, the sprinter, both of whom have been slightly out of form this season. Reed, who returned from military service only a month ago, was unable to take part in the Penn. Relay Carnival, and Johnny Mack, the Eli coach, fears that he will not regain sufficient physical form this year to be counted on as a point winner. During his freshman year, Reed, who came to Yale from Mercersberg as a preparatory school record breaker, reeled off a mile in 4 minutes and 23 seconds. Schleiter, who won Yale's 100 and 220-yard dashes in the last meet held, pulled a tendon last week, and his return to form is exceedingly doubtful.