PHI BETA KAPPA ELECTS 3

ANNUAL DINNER MAY 29

Three additional Seniors were elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Society yesterday, bringing the total for the Class of 1919 to 18, in addition to the "Junior eight". Those elected yesterday are: Joseph Goldman '19, of Boston; Laurence Richardson '19, of Boston; and Louis Edes Ward '19, of Watertown. The names are arranged alphabetically, and not in the order of election.

In pre-war years, it was customary to choose 22 Seniors at the first election, but this season, owing to the military conditions at College, only fifteen Seniors were taken on in February. As a total of 22 Seniors, besides the eight men chosen in their Junior year, must be elected, there still remains a minimum of four members of the Class of 1919 to be honored. In normal years, it was customary to take on a total of 40 Seniors, but owing to the fact that the present graduating class is only a little more than half the usual size, it is not likely that more than the minimum of 22, or four more, will be elected.

The additional members will be chosen on June 14, shortly before Commencement. The men will be elected on the basis of scholastic achievement and promise. In determining the choice, scholastic grades alone will not be the complete ground for decision, but the difficulty of the courses taken will be given due consideration. Intellectual achievement in extra curriculum pursuits will be considered in the decisions although these activities are in no way regarded as making up for marked deficiencies in scholastic ratings. For the final election this spring, regard will be had for special graduation honors and distinctions.

May 29 has been set as the date for the annual dinner and theatre party to be held at the Lombardy Inn. It is customary for the honor men from Yale and Princeton to be present at this meeting, but owing to the war conditions, they will be unable to make the trip to Cambridge this spring. Speeches will be made by R. E. Eckstein '20, orator; G. W. Allport '19, poet; and F. M. Carey '20, Latin odist.

Although three challenges for the renewal of the annual baseball game have been sent to the Yale chapter, no reply has yet been received from the Eli keymen. It was hoped that the contest might be staged in Cambridge early this June, but unless the New Haven honor students accept within a short time, the event will have to be cancelled.