THE GAME AT NEW HAVEN.

This afternoon two baseball teams with diametrically opposite records will face each other at New Haven. The Yale team, with a nucleus from last year's unbeaten nine, was expected to have another championship season. Its three early victories and the rise of a new star pitcher bade fair to fulfill this prophecy. But, in spite of its favorable start, the Eli craft has had a rocky voyage. A long losing streak, in which the pitching hope was twice driven from the box, has spread a cloud of gloom over Yale's great expectations.

Completely the reverse has been the season for the Crimson nine. Last year's mediocre team supplied no experienced material, and even the 1921 nine could furnish formidable additions to the feeble pitching staff. After losing to colleges which in normal years would have boasted to secure a handful of hits from the "big red team," a change has taken place in the Crimson camp. Men whose ball playing had been scarcely of the "corner lot" variety for the first two months, came back in championship form. By winning the Princeton series and shutting out Boston College, Captain McLeod's men have shown that unfavorable pre-season "dope" is no obstacle to a persevering team.

The tradition that Harvard never wins in baseball at New Haven was broken in 1915, and permanently shattered by the 5-2 victory of the following spring. Last year, when the team put up the best fight of the season at New Haven, it came to light that the Harvard nine works better at Yale than here. Felton will face a difficult task this afternoon, but his record shows that he pitches even better in hostile territory than at Cambridge. In the deciding contest with Princeton, in which the Orange and Black cheering section was on its feet shouting continuously for the last three innings, he allowed but three hits. Today, even with stronger opposition from the lusty throats of Yale graduates, there is no reason why we may not expect as fine a performance. And if the team wins today what may we not expect tomorrow, when the most lively procession of graduates that Harvard has every mustered streams up to Soldiers Field.