MARINE CORPS OPEN FOR OVERSEAS ENLISTMENTS

S. A. T. C. MEN ELIGIBLE

A telegram has been received at Military headquarters here from Major-General Barnett, Chief of the Marine Corps, urging the enlistment of discharged soldiers for service overseas this summer. Such enlistments are for a period of four years, with notation on service record that men are to be discharged on their return to the United States in the fall. No definite promise of return and discharge in time for the opening days of College next fall, however, can be given.

Men so enlisted would be disqualified for membership in the R. O. T. C., and would require discharge and readmittance later. Such discharge can be made by agreement between the Professor of Military Science and the head of the College. No assurance can be given of credit for this service toward prescribed R. O. T. C. camps, but the record of such service can be submitted after readmission to the R. O. T. C.

The complete telegram follows:

"Marine Corps urgently desires to enlist discharged soldiers including men having at least two months' S. A. T. C. training in marine or army section. If physically fit for such limited service overseas, will be used to replace marines in army of occupation in France. Such volunteers will remain overseas until fall when all marines will be returned. Upon return to United States in fall these special enlisted men will be discharged. Will deeply appreciate your bringing this to attention of students. Men enlisting should apply nearest marine recruiting station." (Signed), BARNETT.