ANNOUNCE RULES FOR AWARD OF RHODES SCHOLARSHIPS

Both Athletic and Scholastic Ability Considered in Granting Appointment at Oxford--Qualifying Examinations Have Been Abolished.

The complete rules and regulations for the awarding of the Rhodes Scholarships in the United States next October have been announced. Each state and territory is normally entitled to one scholar, but as there were no elections in war time, several states will make two appointments this year. These states are: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Candidates may elect whether they will apply for the scholarship of the state or territory in which they have acquired any large part of their educational qualification, or for that of the state or territory in which they have their residence. Thus a candidate may be a competitor in two states or territories at the same time.

According to the will of Cecil Rhodes, a scholarship of $300 annually for three years is given to one candidate from each state and territory who shall be selected by a qualifying examination. Now, however, the Trustees have made a change in the requirements, and appointments shall be made by a committee in each state and territory without any qualifying examination.

Greek, Latin, and Mathematics Required.

A candidate much have had Greek, Latin, and mathematics in order to be eligible for the scholarship. "Subject to these conditions, a candidate to be eligible must: (1) Be a citizen of the United States with at least five years' domicile, and be unmarried; (2) By the first of October of the year for which he is elected have passed his nineteenth and not have passed his twenty-first birthday; (3) By the first of October of the year for which he is elected, have completed at least his Sophomore year at some recognized degree-granting university or college of the United States (An exception to this rule is made in the case of the State of Massachusetts, where at the request of the Committee of Selection, authority is given at appoint from the Secondary Schools.) Any person who may have been selected once will be eligible to a Rhodes Scholarship at any subsequent time, provided that he satisfy the other conditions of eligibility."

Consider Many Qualifications.

In accordance with the wish of Mr. Rhodes, the Trustees desire that "in the election of a student to a scholarship, regard shall be had to (1) his literary and scholastic attainments, (2) his fondness for and success in manly outdoor sports, such as cricket, football, and the like, (3) his qualities of manhood, truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness, and fellowship, and (4) his exhibition during the schooldays of moral force of character, and of instincts to lead and take an interest in his schoolmates." Mr. Rhodes suggests that (2) and (3) should be decided in any school or college by the votes of fellow students, and (4) by the head of the school or college. Where circumstances render it impracticable to carry out the letter of these suggestions as in the method of selection, the Trustees instruct that every effort will be made to give effect to their spirit, but desire it to be understood that the final decision must rest with the Committee of Selection.

Must Furnish Certificate and Statement.

Every candidate for a scholarship is required to furnish to the Chairman of the Committee of Selections:-- (a) A certificate of age; (b) A full statement of his educational career at school and college; his record in athletics, and such testimonials from his masters at school and professors in college, in reference to the qualifies indicated by Mr. Rhodes, as will assist the judgment of the Committee of Selection.

Each candidate should personally present himself to the Committee of Selection before a final decision is made, unless especially excused by the Committee, itself; in which case, as statement of the reason should be sent to the Trustees.

If a careful comparison of these records and personal interviews with the candidates do not furnish sufficient grounds for making a decision, the Committee of Selection is free to apply to the candidates, or to any selected number of them, such further intellectual or other tests as they may consider necessary.

The selection should be completed not later than January 1 of the year, for which the scholars are elected. Scholar select will begin residence at Oxford in the following October.

Next Appointments Will be in October.

The next appointments will be made in October, 1919. The Scholarships will be paid in quarterly installments: the first on beginning residence at Oxford, and thereafter terminally, provided that the college to which any scholar may belong be satisfied with his work and conduct. The Student is to support himself in the summer of this scholarship.

Marriage vacates a scholarship. Should a scholarship lapse, through the failure of a student to give satisfaction to his college, from marriage, from resignation, or from any other cause, it will not be filled until the year in which it would naturally expire. Unless exempted, scholars will be expected: (1) to reside in college for at least two years; and (2) to take any degree for which they may have qualified.