CREWS WORK OUT AT RED TOP

ELIS ROW DOWN FROM GALES FERRY TO CHEER CRIMSON OARSMEN.

Red Top, Conn., June 6.--This afternoon at 5 o'clock the University and Freshman crews arrived at Red Top. Immediately following the arrival all three eights were given a short work-out consisting of a three-quarter mile paddle down stream against wind the tide. This is the first time since the spring of 1916 that a University shell has been launched on the Thames. The Yale crews came down from Gales Ferry to cheer Harvard just as the latter arrived from Cambridge.

On their return from this short preliminary stretch, the crews lined up for a half-mile brush which ended rather abruptly when the Freshmen, having drawn too near the Western shore, fouled the second University boat. All the oarsmen were in the best of condition, and, considering the fact that today's event was merely an informal warming up, it was considered very satisfactory.

For the remainder of the training period the daily work-out will consist of a short run before breakfast, followed by rowing in both morning and afternoon. Final examinations will be given on the various days at the most convenient time between rowing periods.