SENIOR ADVISERS

It is rumored that the custom of appointing Senior advisers for Freshmen is to be resumed next fall. There are conclusive reasons why this action should be taken. A Freshman passing his first months in the University is certain to feel the need to counsel with some one whom experience makes competent to give advice. It is not likely that his Faculty adviser will be available for more than hasty conferences on the mysteries of the course pamphlet. In addition, the Freshman is apt to have a feeling of awe toward professors in general which militates against the necessary frankness of his part.

The system of Senior advisers, then, undoubtedly fills a need which otherwise cannot be met. It is the duty of the Senior to make the incoming man feel that he has a friend in the University with whom he can talk over the perplexing incidents of the new life to which he is becoming accustomed. The experience of the upperclassman is sure to prove invaluable in gulling the uninitiated toward a wise course in studies and other college activities.

The Senior is sufficiently in advance of his advisee to command respect for the counsel which he offers, yet the difference is not so great as to defeat the aim of the system -- to provide a man in the University who will aid the Freshman in all times of need. If conscientiously carried out, this system will become the means of personal contact between the College, and its newest members, and will prevent the feeling that the are allowed by the University to sink or swim as they may.