ADVOCATE OF REAL INTEREST

First Number Well Above Standard of Last Year.

The first number of the Advocate is, on the whole, of real interest. The editorials are clear and sensible; and the remarks on the comparative failure of Harvard to develop an internal democratic spirit are worth the attention of the whole College. The two outstanding contributions are those of Professor Hack and Mr. R. C. Rand. In reality, they are complementary; for they both constitute a needed protest against that evasion of initiative which is regretably characteristic of the present era in the American college. On most of Mr. Lamont's effective plea for the Endowment Fund I am estopped from commenting; but I would like to point out how vital is the appeal lie makes for the proper equipment of chemistry and the establishment of a mobile fund. Neither the poetry nor the book reviews seem to me good. The first has real facility; but it represents that stage of development where words are more to the writer than ideas. The book reviews display too little knowledge of the subjects with which they deal; and they are too perfunctory in character to make any real assessment possible. The Advocate ought not to allow philosophers in extremis to declaim upon the whimsies sponsored by Mr. J. M. Barrie. The essays on subjects of no special academic interest are, I think, all of them a little too over-mannered to be successful. The kind of thing they attempt can only be done well by a real master of the essay; and they belong rather to the sphere of well-meaning discipleship than of successful creation. The number by and large, is certainly above the standard of last year's Advocate. It would be admirable if the attempt to comment on political affairs were developed into a reglar feature of the paper.