PRIZE OF $500 OFFERED FOR BEST THREE-ACT PRODUCTION

OLIVER MOROSCO DONOR

Oliver Morosco, the theatrical producer, has offered a prize of $500 for the best three-act play for regular professional production submitted by a past or present member of English 47 or 47a, Professor George P. Baker's courses on Dramatic Composition in Harvard and Radcliffe, and the competition for this prize is to close on Wednesday, October 1.

The prize was offered by Mr. Morosco to the authorities of the University during the early summer and Professor Baker has already communicated with those who are eligible. The judges will be Mr. Morosco, or a representative named by him; Mr. Winthrop Ames '95, and Professor Baker, or his representative. The winner will be given $500 and will receive in addition the royalties from the production of his play, which Mr. Morosco guarantees to have produced within six months of its acceptance.

The award of this prize is considered a striking indication of the interest taken by theatrical managers in the work of students who are receiving university training in the elements of dramatic technique.

Announcement in Full.

The announcement of the terms of the prize follows in full:

Mr. Morosco offers a prize of $500 for the prose dramatic composition of at least three acts adjudged by a committee of three to be the best suited for professional production. Plays submitted must be the absolute property of the author, and not subject to any copyright or other claim by or in name of a third person.

The competition is open only to past or present members of English 47 or 47a in Harvard University or Radcliffe College. Among these no one who at the time for submitting manuscripts has already had a long play professionally produced may compete.

The manuscripts must be typewritten and marked clearly "Morosco Prize Competition," with the name and address of the author, as well as the year in which he or she was a member of English 47 or 47a. Sufficient postage for the return of the manuscript should be enclosed. All plays submitted must be at 195 Brattle street, Cambridge, October 1, 1919.

Two Manuscripts May be Submitted.

The best play of each candidate is desired. Two manuscripts may, however, be submitted, if the author thinks best. Not more than two may be submitted except by special permission to be gained from the representatives of the University on the Committee of Judges.

The Committee of Judges in 1919 will be: Mr. Morosco, or a representative named by him; Mr. Winthrop Ames; and Professor Baker, or his representative.

Should the number of manuscripts submitted be not more than twenty-five, the decision will be given in a month or six weeks; if a larger number is received, a proportionately longer time will be needed. Immediately after the decision, the Prize of $500 will be paid to the author of the successful play. This payment will not be in lion of any royalties. A contract with the author on a sliding scale of 5 per cent., 7 1-2 per cent., and 10 per cent., and guaranteeing a production of the play within six months of its acceptance, will be given the successful competitor at the time of the payment of the Prize.