PROF. McDOUGALL APPOINTED TO PSYCHOLOGY CHAIR HERE

Noted Englishman Will Take Up Duties at the University Next Fall.

The University has just announced the appointment of William McDougall, the well-known British psychologist, as Professor of Psychology. Prof. McDougall, who is at present Reader in Mental Philosophy and Fellow of Corpus Christi College at Oxford, will not be able to come here this year, and the governing boards of the University have, therefore, dated the appointment from September 1, 1920. Professor McDougall was educated at Owens College, Manchester and Cambridge, and subsequently studied medicine. He has been at Oxford for many years. During the war he served as a major in the Royal Army Medical Corps. The books which he has written include "introduction to Social Psychology," published in 1908: "Body and Mind," published in 1911; and "Pagan Tribes of Borneo," published in 1912. The first two are especially well-known among psychologists in this country.

The appointment is also announced of Zechariah Chafee, Jr., of Boston, as full professor at the Law School. Mr. Chafee has recently been serving as assistant professor of Law.