YALE, PRINCETON, AND BROWN ELEVENS AT DAILY PRACTICE

125 ELI CANDIDATES

After several days of preliminary training, football candidates in most of the colleges scheduled to meet the University are now engaged in serious practice under the direction of their coaches. Work has been in progress for just a week at Yale, and for three days at Princeton, while Brown has already picked three tentative elevens in order that plays and signals might be run through.

Sharpe Satisfied With Ell Progress.

Dr. Albert Sharpe, director of athletics at Yale, is satisfied that his men have grasped the fundamentals of the work, and announced on Saturday that they were ready to begin running through the regular formations. The close of the first week's practice brought the total number of candidates up to 125, of whom nearly 70 are trying for the line. The opening of the fall term next Thursday is expected to increase the squad to nearly 200.

In selecting a tentative line-up Dr. Sharpe has picked one of the heaviest rushlines which Yale has had in years, and one of the fastest back fields.

Tentative Yale Eleven Chosen.

The eleven which closed the week, as favored by the coaches, was made up of Allen and Rheinhardt, ends; Kirkpatrick and Acosta, tackles; Galt and Hammell, guards; Captain Callahan, centre; La Roche, quarterback; Lay, left half-back; Heffelfinger, right halfback; Neville, fullback.

Seventy-Five Men Out at Princeton.

Seventy-five candidates have reported for the Princeton eleven, and of these, none have ever played regularly on a Varsity team, although many were members of their freshman elevens. The coaching is in charge of Bill Roper, who returns to this position after an interim of eight years. He will be assisted in his task by Nelson Poe, one of the famous Poe's of Princeton football; Harold Ballin, captain of the 1914 eleven and all-American tackle; Frank Glick, captain and quarterback of the 1915 team; Eddie Shea and A. C. Gennert, halfback and centre of the last team to represent the university before the war; and Keene Fitzpatrick, track coach and formerly trainer of the football teams, who had such success with the S. A. T. C. eleven last fall.

Many Veterans at Brown.

Brown has a squad of about fifty candidates, which includes practically two full teams of veterans. The work so far has been elementary, with punters and drop-kickers receiving especial attention. Two practice sessions are being held each day. A close contest is taking place for quarterback between Murphy, Coulter, Shupert, and Samson, all old players. Coulter held the position on the 1917 team, Samson on the S. A. T. C. team last year, while Murphy was captain of the 1916 second team.

Former Linesmen Back.

A number of former Linesmen have also reported, and indications are that the end positions will be particularly strong. J. M. Nichols, Williams, Albright, Brisk, and McSweency are among the veterans trying for end. The first two were regulars on the 1917 team, while Brisk was on last year's service eleven. In charge of the practice this year are Coaches Robinson. Whittemore, Hahn, and Sprackling.