NEW FIELD PIECE ARRIVES

155 mm. G. P. F. Rifle Now In Battery In Front of Widener.

A large 155 mm. G. P. F. rifle that is to be used in the Gunnery and Material Courses offered by the Department of Military Science and Tactics arrived in the Yard yesterday morning. It was put into firing position by the men of the regular army detachment on duty at Harvard and now rests "in battery" in front of the Widener Library. This rifle has been on hand for some time at the Commonwealth Armory, but was only recently ordered to the University. The motive power is furnished by one of the five-ton tractors that will be used by the Department in the instruction in Motor Traction to be given during the latter half of the first year's work in Military Science 1. Other equipment to be used in the Motor Traction course includes several trucks, two motorcycles with side cars, a passenger car, a large reconnaissance body mounted on a White one-ton chassis, and a complete artillery repair outfit, mounted on a Nash chassis, equipped with a power drill, small lathe, pneumatic riveter, oxyacetylene welder and cutter, and complete sets of tools.

The big gun in front of the Library is one of a type and calibre that proved themselves very efficient in the recent war. Throwing a projectile weighing around ninety-five pounds at a maximum muzzle velocity of twenty-three hundred and eighty feet per second it attains a maximum range of about seventeen thousand yards. It was the mainstay of the American and French armies in medium field rifles, and improvements in gun and projectile were being rapidly made when the armistices was signed.

The gun which sits at the southern end of University Hall is a 75 mm. American-made British, Model 1917. It is very much like the British 18 pounder, with the exception of the bore and the sighting apparatus, and is remarkably accurate. Along with this gun are some of the fire-control instruments to be used in the courses given at the University.