BOSTON DISTRICT ORGANIZED

"SEND-OFF" SMOKER ON FRIDAY EVENING FOR ENDOWMENT FUND DRIVE.

More than 1000 members of the canvassing teams organized to cover the Boston district in the Endowment Fund drive scheduled to begin the end of this week will be present at the final "send-off" smoker in the Harvard Club, Friday evening at 8 o'clock. Thomas Nelson Perkins '91, chairman of the greater Boston committee, and R. H. Gardiner, Jr., '04, will address the gathering. The purpose of the smoker is to give final instructions to the canvassers and stir up enthusiasm for the campaign.

The meeting Friday will be followed by a dinner at the club on Monday evening, September 29, at 7 o'clock, at which more than three hundred prominent graduates of the University will be present. The Board of Overseers, the members of the Corporation, and many prominent members of the Faculty will be guests of the Club, as will also a number of men not connected at any time with the University but interested in the Endowment Fund movement as of general benefit.

The list of speakers, which is not yet finally completed includes President A. Lawrence Lowell, Dean LeBaron R. Briggs, Thomas Nelson Perkins '91, greater Boston chairman, and Eliot Wadsworth '98, who with Thomas W. Lamont '92, is joint chairman of the national committee of the Endowment Fund campaign.

No subscriptions will be taken at either meeting, and the campaign proper will not begin until afterwards. It is planned to have each of the 1000 canvassers see ten men in the course of the drive, and be responsible for turning in their subscriptions. The total number of University men in the vicinity of Boston is more than 10,000, and this body has been classified and divided into numerous groups with the aim in view of having each man approached by a canvasser well informed as to his personal activities and interests. A committee has been organized for each professional group, one for the doctors, another for the lawyers, and so forth. It is hoped in this way that the canvassers will be able to arouse the personal interest of every living University man, and make the Endowment Campaign, a complete success.