THE HARDING INAUGURAL

Those who wanted a "record-breaking" inaugural reckoned without Mr. Harding. He put an end to the bickering which has occupied the attention of several Senators for some time, by communicating his wish to the Inaugural Committee that the program be the "simplest consistent with the actual requirements in taking office and the utterance of befitting address." The next President shows no interest in the idea of erecting stands and platforms, or organizing a gigantic parade for the populace, of holding an expensive inaugural ball. Instead of being the center of the show, he would prefer "to be simply sworn in, speak briefly my plight of faith to the country, and turn at once to the work which will be calling."

In the delicate matter of providing funds for Mr. Harding's inauguration, Congress appropriated a modest $50,000; yet even this was extravagant, judged by the new standard. The ceremony on March 4 will be truly "record-breaking", for it will require almost no expense. It will be an example of practical economy quite unusual in this country which is ever ready to talk thrift, but is slow to practice it; Mr. Harding not only talks but acts. If he had wanted an elaborate inaugural, it is safe to say that the funds would have been found. But he chose to play the part of a true leader; if economy is to be the watchword for these coming years, the country has at its head a man who has blazed the trail.