THREE PROFESSORS IN UNIVERSITY TO RETIRE

ANNOUNCE NEW APPOINTMENTS

Three University professors, Paul H. Hanus, Edwin H. Hall and Edward S. Sheldon '72 will retire from active teaching at the end of the year, and each of them has been appointed professor emeritus by the Governing, Boards of the University.

Professor Hanus was born in Silesia, came to this country at the age of four years, and was graduated from the University of Michigan in 1878. His connection with the University dates from 1891, when he became assistant professor of the History and Art of Teaching. Ten years later he was advanced to a full professorship. He is well-known for his contributions to educational theory and his work in connection with school inquiries and surveys, and he played a large part in the movement which led to the founding of the Harvard Graduate School of Education.

Prof. Hall in Police Strike

Professor Hall, who was graduated from Bowdoin in 1875 and took his doctor' degree at Johns Hopkins five years later, has taught at the University since 1881. He holds the Rumford Professorship of Physics. He is a member of many learned societies and the author of several books on physics. He was among the first to volunteer for police duty during the Boston police strike two years ago, despite his 64 years.

Professor Sheldon is now in his forty-fourth year of teaching at the University and has held the professorship of Romance Philology since 1894. He is the author of books and monographs on philological subjects.

Make Two Appointments

Two appointments are announced of Dr. Earnest Albert Hooton as Assistant Professor of Anthropology for three years from September 1, 1921, and of Dr. William Lorenzo Moss as assistant professor of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene for the current year.

John Tucker Murray, who recently was named director of the Harvard Summer School, has been made a member of two of the Harvard faculties beginning next year the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and that of the Graduate School of Education.

The Administrative Board of Special Students for the Summer School and for University Extension will this year be made up of the following men: John H. Hopes, Dean; Professor Clifford H. Moore, Professor Wilbur C. Abbott, Professor K. G. T. Webster, Professor Hector J. Hughes, Mr. John Tucker Murray, Professor Walter F. Dearborn, Professor Alexander J. Inglis and Professor Arthur F. Whittem.