SOCIAL SERVICE

Phillips Brooks House occupies a unique position in the affairs of Harvard. Its sole aim is to extend a helping hand; and whether in a philanthropic, social, or purely religious capacity, its in flounce is widely felt and appreciated. A great majority of students in the University are in hearty accord with the purpose of the Association; a considerable number have come into actual contact with its activities; but comparatively few find the time to give in return or to further personally the scope of its important work.

Elsewhere in this league are described the varied tasks annually undertaken by Phillips Brooks House. It is not difficult to see that in maintaining its social service department in particular, it needs all possible support. The support in this instance takes the material form of volunteer workers, men who are willing to devote an hour or more each week to a boys' club; miscellaneous entertainment, or special aid in charities or hospitals. Only 220 students are recorded as active in the different branches of the organization, while 2000 could easily be employed. There is not merely room, but a real need for more undergraduate help in a cause that could not be worthier.

Many dismiss the subject of "P. B. H." with a conscientious pecuniary donation. Not that financial assistance is unwelcome, but the ideals for which the Association stands should claim an interest leading to individual participation in its plans. Whoever devotes a proportion of his schedule to social service work will find his effort well spent,--both in the good he does for others, and the benefit he himself receives.