COACH DANGUY DESCRIBES ADVANTAGES OF FENCING

GIVES MENTAL CONTROL

By University FENCING Coach. and J. L. Danguy, (Special Article for the Crimson)s

This is the sixth of a series of articles which will be published by the Crimson written by University coaches on the problems and various aspects of their respective sports.

Primarily, fencing is an art, an art which has three valuable attributes that make of it an athletic sport of unusual interest and value. As physical exercise, fencing contributes to the powerful development of all the muscles of the body, giving them the swift coordination and suppleness which makes ordinary fatigue seldom noticeable to the fencer.

Mental control, the ability to keep cool and remember the essential fundamentals of execution in the excitement of the duel, is an asset learned in fencing, an asset that inevitably must be mastered by the foilsman and one that proves invaluable in life, whatever career a man pray choose. The struggle for nerve-control, self-restraint on the mat, is as vital in winning matches as is the actual handling of the steel in combat.

Novices Easily Excited

The excitement caused by the inexperience of intercollegiate fencers in their early meets on University teams is such that much of their real knowledge is forgotten, and wildeness ensues which makes the fencer far less able than he is in practice. Confidence and restraint are gained by long work and experience. It is nervousness which becomes the chief enemy of the student fencer. A spirit of coolness, of relaxed tension, of unfettered judgment, must be attained by him who would succed. The man who is collected, firm, ready for an opportunity or opening, watching, playing with his opponent, steady of hand, and above all, master of himself, will always hold the upper hand. Add to these qualities, speed at the proper instant, alert facility to take advantage of the opponents' weak spots, an intuitive sense, which comes with practice, of the time and manner of attack best suited to the individual--and you have the attributes of the accomplished foilsman.

Ability to Persevere Gained

The third asset, gained from fencing is the ability to persevere. And it is here that fencing as a sport is weakest, for without willingness on the part of the individual to put in a long period of training, of learning the rudiments, he cannot master fencing. When learning golf, tennis, or boxing, the beginner, though not accomplished in his sport, can enjoy himself dubbing at the game until he becomes proficient. The novice fencer is not allowed the pleasure and exhilaration of combat until he not only has learned the elements but until he has mastered them. It is this three or four month period of learning, of work without play, that discourages the public from a sport which once learned has proved an invaluable asset to its devotees, and a life-long source of inevitable pleasure.

Fencing is a game which, when once mastered, is never forgotten. It is a sport worth many times the labor of learning. But it is a public that wants its cake without working for it, that, in following other sports because they are easily learned, never learns that sport which in itself alone combines the physical and, mental advantages of practically all other sports. In conclusion, I would emphasize again that fencing is more than a game; it is an art, an art greatly valued by all its devotees as every follower of the foils will testify.