PHI BETA KAPPA TO RESUME SCHOLARSHIP AID SERVICE

Undergraduate Members to Keep Office Hours With E. A. Weld '21 as Chairman

At the Phi Beta Kappa dinner in the Union last night plans were laid to continue this year the work of the Scholarship Service Bureau, designed to aid students, especially Freshmen, who have experienced difficulty with their scholastic work. During the current year, E. A. Weld '21, as chairman of the Bureau, will have general supervisory charge of all its activity and will cooperate with the College Office in order that those who are most in need of the help will be the ones to receive it. After Midyears undergraduate members of Phi Beta Kappa will keep office hours at Phillips Brooks House ready to give advice and other aid.

The Scholarship Service Bureau was organized in 1915 as the result of experience in work of the kind, which had proved very successful wherever applied. It was founded in the belief that there were a large number of students in the University who, on account of faulty preparation, retarded development, or incorrect methods of study, were not reaping the full benefits of the scholastic work of the College, and who, if they were given needed advice or aid for a time, would be put on their feet so that they could help themselves in the future. The Bureau, in other words, is planned to combine all the advantages of the tutorial schools, with none of their disadvantages, offering its services free of charge, and at the same time giving closer personal attention to the applicants for aid. At the time of its organization it received a great deal of favorable attention from the publications of the University and of other colleges, and from the newspapers of the vicinity, and was heralded as a great forward stop in the history of Phi Beta Kappa.

In recent years for a variety of reasons--lack of publicity, the disrupting effect of the war, etc., the work has not proved very extensive, but with the plans for this year firmly laid, a larger scope and activity is expected.