DESPOILING THE FARNSWORTH ROOM

Of all the book "hogs" that are operating within the precincts of Widener and the Union, none is more condemnable than the one who "forgets" to replace borrowed volumes in the Farnsworth Room. It has lately been brought to the attention of the authorities that the practice is assuming such proportions as to warrant the closing of the room for good, and unless these alarming depredations on its shelves speedily cease, the threatened action will undoubtedly take place.

While it is bad enough for property of the library to disappear at the hands of "careless" students, robbery (although an unpleasant word, the only one applicable in such a case) of the Farnsworth Room amounts almost to sacrilege. The possessions of this popular retreat are very valuable; the books are costly not only in binding but as integral parts of various sets; some of them are rare and difficult to replace. It is a distinct privilege for students to be allowed their handling at all, and that this permission should be abused is intolerable. Selfishness has indeed taken a far step when a sanctum like the Farnsworth Room is desecrated by manifest gaps in its rows of books. To close the room would be a sorry indication of the sense of responsibility and honor of the modern college student, and a disgrace to Harvard in particular. Only an immediate stoppage of the present loss by a hereafter conscientious return of the volumes to their proper places can keep the room available.