"WHAT'S IN A NAME?"

The comment of a Princeton graduate published below is testimony of the high admiration which men of other colleges hold for the work of the University Glee Club; but, in addition to his praise, there is a note of doubt in regard to the success of the club from a "utilitarian" aspect. "Such a concert as the Harvard Glee Club is now giving might cause the ordinary school boy to flee in utter boredom," he says. In this way, an intellectual victory may become a practical defeat in turning away from the University desirable students. The secondary purpose of a Glee Club Tour,--the furthering of the interests of the University in territories where it is little known,--would become a loss rather than a gain.

Antagonism to Harvard on the ground that the singers have "taken the Glee out of Glee Club," puerile as it may seem, has no doubt sprung up. This feeling is principally due to a misunderstanding of the aims of the organization. As long as it remains under its present name, the "ordinary school boy" (who may be well above the ordinary in fields outside of music) will attend the concert expecting light entertainment of the Yale, Princeton and Cornell Glee Club type; or else be frightened away altogether with the thought "that's just like Harvard trying to be high-brow." In either case the reaction in the boy's mind would be to eliminate Harvard as the possible college of his choice.

With a title such as "Choral Society," the present Glee Club would receive full credit for its artistic success, without leaving the trail of active antagonism which followed in the wake of its Christmas tour this year.