RUNNERS WORK OUT IN CAGE

JUMPERS FACE STIFF COMPETITION

Because of the cold weather yesterday all the track squad went inside the cage. The distance and relay runners jogged several laps around and then went in. The only men who did any serious work were the sprinters and hurdlers. The jumping standards were removed and the men had the length of the cage to run. The hurdlers especially came in for hard work. R. S. Whitney '22, who will represent the University at the B. A. A. games showed fine form in both the low and high hurdles. Whitney will have to do some fast running February 5, as Earl Thompson of Dartmouth, who won the Olympic hurdles last summer, is entered and is expected to lead the field.

Hard Prospect Ahead for Jumpers

W. F. Goodell '21 and C. J. Hamlin unC., the University's entries in the high jump, will have to work hard in order to make any show at all. In addition to John Murphy, last year's winner at the B. A. A. games, R. W. Landon of Yale, the Olympic champion, and Walter Whelan of the B. A. A., are entered. With this trio of stars, some record jumping may be expected.

Invitation Sent to University of Paris

The athletic authorities of the University of Pennsylvania have announced that an invitation has been sent to the University of Paris to enter a one-mile relay team in the Penn relay games next spring. Invitations have also been sent to McGill University at Montreal, and to Toronto University.

While invitations have been sent to Oxford and Cambridge, no contestants from these Universities are looked for, since, if any teams are sent over this year, they are to sent over this year, they are to meet the University and Yale combined in a dual meet late in the spring.