1924 SMOTHERS ST. GEORGE

ENTIRE SQUAD GETS INTO GAME

With three victories already to their credit, the Freshman basketball five added another to the list when they routed the St. George quintet 74-20 yesterday afternoon in the Freshman Gymnasium. The 1924 men completely overwhelmed the school team, scoring 37 points before the losers located the basket. Although outweighed, the St. George players fought gamely throughout.

The first period started with both teams fighting for the ball, and the Crimson Freshmen took several easy shots without success. Stevens was the first to score for 1924, and his basket was followed by an avalanche of shots, with very clever passing between Captain Lewis Gordon, J. H. Sipp and D. H. Stevens. Several times the school boys took the ball down the floor but they had little luck shooting. The half ended with the yearlings leading 51-7.

Second Team Shows Up Well

At the start of the second period the 1924 five held the ball practically all the time, and some clever fast passing was done without much scoring. The St. George team had a fairly good defense, but the victors proved too fast for them. In the middle of the half Coach Wachter sent in the second-string players and they managed to hold the losers to an almost even score. The first-string men were put in again near the end, and the contest ended 74-20 in favor of the Freshman five.

Captain Gordon led the scoring, making nine field goals and seven free throws, with D. H. Stevens and J. H. Sipp coming next with nine and eight baskets respectively. Captain Phelps was the strongest man of the losers, being responsible for 14 out of their 20 points. HARVARD 1924.  ST. GEORGE. Gordon, r.f.  l.g., Rennard Stevens, l.f.  r.g., Alger Sipp, c.  c., Phelps Black, r.g.  l.f., Almirall Rudolfsky, l.g.  r.f., Gamble

Substitutions: Harvard 1924, Wasser man for Gordon, Kempner for Stevens, Kohn for Sipp, Rodakiewicz for Black, Sanchez for Rudolfsky, Woodley for Sanchez, Strahlem for Dodakiewicz; St. George, Longfellow for Alger. Baskets: 1924, Gordon 9, Stevens 9, Sipp 8, Wasserman 3, Black 2, Kempner, Rudolfsky; St. George, Phelps 5, Alger, Almirall, Gamble. Free throws, Gordon 7, Phelps 4, Wasserman. Referee, MacDonald, Twenty-minute halves.