BEMIS MAKES FOURTH PLACE ON RELAY TEAM

OPPOSING M. I. T. TEAM CHOSEN

Running a well planned race, F. G. Bemis '22 on Saturday made fourth place on the University two-mile relay team. The trials for fourth place were held in the form of a half-mile race, in which six men started. E. T. Doherty '22 and H. P. Davis '21 led off at a terrific pace, Davis taking the lead after the first lap. Bemis, a dark horse, stayed behind until near the end, when his reserve strength enabled him to come in an easy winner. Doherty, who had fallen behind after the first two laps, finished about five yards behind him.

While the order of running has not yet been decided, it is probable that either J. A. McCarthy '22 or Bayard Wharton '22 will lead off, while Captain D. F. O'Connell '21 will run anchor man.

Trials will be held this week for the University one-mile relay team. From the results of the time trials held so far, the team will probably consist of C. H. Wansker '23, J. W. Quinn '23, E. O. Gourdin '21, and Richard Chute '22. Vinton Chapin '23 and K. D. Howard '23 have also shown up well, and may be chosen in place of one of these four. The M. I. T. one-mile relay team, which will race the University team at the B. A. A. games, has already been selected, and is made up of Yardley Chittick, William Gurney, Oliver Bardes and Garvin Bawden. Both Bardes and Bawden were on the team which was defeated by the University last year. Gurney is a comparatively new man. Chittick was the "440" man in the medley relay team which secured fourth place at the Penn Relay Carnival last spring.