MOVE TO HALT TREND TO PROFESSIONALISM

ZUPPKE HAS NOVEL PLAN

Although not in a position to definitely make any new rules concerning intercollegiate athletics, the meeting of the Intercollegiate Athletic Association, which was held in Chicago during the recent. Christmas vacation and was attended by representatives of most of the larger colleges in the country, did much to bring about a better feeling between the colleges and to crystallize and standardize the athletic sentiment of the nation.

Want Colleges in Olympic Games

The delegates to the convention expressed themselves in favor of more inclusive representation for college in the American Athletic Union, to the end that the colleges should have a greater part in the organization of the nation's preparation for the Olympic games. In this connection, Professor A. A. Stagg of the University of Chicago urged that a sentiment be created for a higher standard of sportsmanship in our efforts to win international events and thus prevent foreign nations from attributing to us the methods they describe as essentially those of professionals.

Professor F. J. A. Pyre of Wisconsin State University, himself an old football player, sounded a serious note of warning that college sport is approaching that same dangerous position which resulted in nation-wide curtailment fifteen years ago. He named overintensification in sport and the dangers of contamination from professional methods as likely to leave the college with mammoth stadiums, built in the present period of enthusiasm, but desolate a few years hence, if college faculties decide that the primary purpose of colleges is education and not athletics. He pointed out that the present craze for athletics, if not guarded zealously, might lead to such restrictive action on the part of university faculties.

A committee was appointed to study the extent and methods of proselyting in the nine districts embraced by the association.

It was also suggested that an Intercollegiate Boxing League be formed, but this plan was disapproved of, and it was recommended that for the present intercollegiate boxing be limited to dual meets only.

The football rules committee advised against any drastic change in the present rules, unless possibly restricting the use of the forward pass, owing to the fear expressed in the East that football is yearly growing more and more like basketball.

Receiver of Pass Can't Run Further

One interesting suggestion which was made by Coach Zuppke of Illinois State in a personal talk with F. W. Moore, Graduate Treasurer of the Harvard Athletic Association, was that the receiver of a completed pass be not allowed to run with the ball. In this way, Mr. Zuppke pointed out, a touchdown which results from a successful forward pass, and which gives a team a victory which it does not deserve, would be nearly impossible.

Another suggestion which was made was that of holding an all-inclusive national track meet--an American Olympiad--next spring. However, as this meet would interfere seriously with the present intercollegiate meet, and with college examinations, it seems improbable that it will be held.