ITALY CO-OPERATES

It is not often in the world's history that one nation has voluntarily lent its assistance to another on a question of internal policy. The announcement of the Italian government, therefore, that it will issue no more immigration passports to the United States until this country has to some extent solved the problem if the immigrant, is to be all the more appreciated.

The work of the immigration authorities has assumed within the last two years proportions that are both appalling and discouraging. Legislative relief may eventually be obtained, but its progress is certain to be rendered slow by the present existing laws and by the indirectness of officialdom. In the meantime, the incoming flood of prospective citizens still continues, so that those in charge of the work must shoulder the double burden of campaigning for reform while attending to duties far heavier than normal. Italy's decision to withhold her share of immigrants until matters shall be adjusted is thus extremely helpful in that it comes at so opportune a time.

It may be, of course, that Italy wishes to protect her own citizens as well, and prevent them from being subjected to the disappointments and misfortunes which are almost inevitable under the present over-crowded and kaleidoscopic conditions at Ellis Island and elsewhere. If that is true, Italy has seen and acted wisely. If there is also behind her action a desire to co-operate with the United States, and lend what aid she can in settling the problem, she has acted with commendable friendliness. Whichever is the case, the hard-working immigration officers have at least been granted a welcome respite.