LAYMEN AT CHAPEL

Beginning this morning and continuing for a week, the morning services in Appleton Chapel will be marked by the appearance of special speakers, all members of the governing boards of the University and all among the prominent men of the country. Such an arrangement, unprecedented as it is, is of great interest.

Time was when attendance at chapel was compulsory; but it was later realized that small benefit accrued to the undergraduate who was forced to attend morning services. If there is something to be gained, the thoughtful man will attend voluntarily. Yet it is too much to assume that because Appleton Chapel has not been crowded every morning there is nothing valuable in the services. Yet there is no remedy in sight, under the voluntary attendance system, unless Appleton offers something more than it has in the past.

The necessary step has been taken in announcing the list of speakers. It is safe to say that many men who are little acquainted with the chapel will learn for themselves this week that the short morning services are worth serious attention. If the Blue Sunday agitators could reason as the University authorities have done, they would reach the conclusion that the true worth of the church lies in its ability to give something that men want. Because of the extra effort to make the morning service attractive to a particularly indifferent undergraduate body, there is sure to follow an increased interest in Appleton Chapel and a better understanding of its relation to members of the University.