SWIMMING TEAM RAPIDLY BECOMING PROFICIENT

3 TENTATIVE MEETS THIS MONTH

As a result of the strenuous two-hour drills which the candidates for the University swimming team have been holding in the Boston Y. M. C. A. tank every weekday except Saturday, the men are now turning in good records in the practice trials. Although Coach Prendergast does not want to announce the exact times which the members of the squad are making in the various events, he has stated that Captain A. H. Brackett ocC., P. Johnson '21 and C. S. Worcester '22 have done better than 27 seconds in the 50-yard dash and better than 1 minute, 4 seconds in the 100-yard dash, and that several men have turned in fast times in the 220-yard dash.

In the three meets which will probably be held this month Captain, Brackett will swim in both the 50 and 100-yard dashes and on the relay team. In addition one man for each of the dashes and three for the relay team will be chosen from a group of candidates which includes R. D. Gross '23, N. H. Parsons '22, L. Rittenberg '21, R. F. Thayer '23, who was captain of last year's Freshman swimming team, and W. F. Wyman '23. In the plunge, P. K. Thomas ocC., has shown up well, and in the dive B. W. Boyden '21 is the most promising man at present. No man has been chosen to swim the 220-yard event except W. W. Douglass '22 of last year's University team.

Although the team is rather crippled now, the management expects that it will develop into a winning combination. With Captain Brackett, Johnson and Worcester, swimming on the relay team, and with R. F. Thayer '23 probably filling the fourth position, it should prove to be a fast combination. Captain Brackett, Johnson, Worcester and Douglass will be depended upon to take care of the dashes. As all of last year's divers have graduated, and as P. W. Goodell '23 is the only member of the 1923 Freshman team who has reported as a diver, there is need for more men in this department.