"THE GREATEST HARVARD MAN"

Two years ago an editorial by Albert Bushnell Hart appeared on this page entitled: The Greatest Harvard Man. That man was Theodore Roosevelt. While the nation grieved at his death, Harvard men the world over felt his loss with particular force, for "no man in the United States has so fully shown forth in his character, life and achievements that individual and fearless spirit which Harvard University aims to foster." These words will hold true for many years to come.

Two years of perhaps the most critical period in this country's history have served to emphasize the loss of Theodore Roosevelt. These are times of rapid transition when the active leadership of a real leader is missed as never before. These are times also of great opportunities for young men, particularly for college men. The University contributes its quota each year. But its members have one great advantage, that of having before them a man who "loved Harvard, recognized his indebtedness to Harvard and throughout the nation and the world, caused the name of Harvard to be known as the first proving-ground of a great knight." We, who are here now preparing for the years to come, years of great stress, yet of great opportunities, cannot do better than to keep alive in our memories the life, character and achievements of Theodore Roosevelt--the greatest Harvard man.