EASY GAMES FOR YALE AND PRINCETON TODAY

ROPER WILL START VETERAN TEAM

With many of the principal colleges of the east playing their opening games of the 1921 football season today and sixteen others entering their second contests of the year, this afternoon's results will be full of interest for football enthusiasts in this section of the country. Of chief interest to members of the University are the games at Princeton and New Haven; at Princeton the Tigers are opening their season, while at New Haven the Elis will meet a fairly weak team in their second contest of the year in the Bowl.

Although neither Yale nor Princeton will face as dangerous an opponent as the University players are expected to find in Holy Cross, the Blue and the Orange and Black coaching staffs have bent every effort to whip their squads into the best possible shape for today's games. The New Haven eleven faces Vermont in its second game of the season and should have little difficulty in rolling up a decisive score. Coach Jones was well satisfied with the showing made by the men he started against Bates last Saturday and has been working the same combination in practice scrimmages this week. The team has been lining up with Hulman and Diller at the wing positions, into and Storrs at tackle, Trippe and Cruikshank at guard, Landis in the snap-back position, Murphy at quarterback, and Captain Aldrich, Mallory and Jordan in the other backfield berths.

Into Shows Up Well at Tackle

Coach Jones' line was especially effective against Bates last Saturday. Into, at left tackle, a veteran from last year, will be sure of a regular position on the Blue team if he keeps up the standard he set in the first game. More than once he tackled his man behind the line of scrimmage and frequently beat the ends down the field under kicks. On the whole the rest of the line played a good, steady game last Saturday with occasional brilliant flashes at end, especially when Deaver went in for Hulman.

The tackle situation for today is, however, uncertain on account of a badly wrenched shoulder received by Storrs in scrimmage Wednesday. He will probably not be able to play for a week and Diller may be shifted from end to take his place. Other important linesmen who have been on the New Haven sick list are Cross, last year's center, and Mackay and Quaile, letter men at guard. When Coach Jones is able to use these three his line will compare, favorably with that of any in the east.

O'Hearn, last season's Freshman quarterback, is also being awaited with great impatience by the Blue coaching staff. If O'Hearn lives up to expectations, he will be the man that Yale has been hoping for during the last ten years. With his three-threat attack of running, kicking, and passing he appears to have in him the makings of a quarterback who will be able to match Lourie of Princeton or any man Coach Fisher can produce for the University. At present he is unable to play on account of a serious attack of hay fever. This week Captain Aldrich was tried at quarterback on account of the worry over this position caused by O'Hearn's absence. It is highly improbable, however, that the Yale captain will do any permanent work in this capacity.

Neidlinger May Start Today

The Yale backfield seems due for a shift on account of the performances of Neidlinger, a former Andover player who starred together with O'Bearn on last fall's Freshman team. Neidlinger substituted for Aldrich last Saturday and made a touchdown soon after his entrance into the game, carrying the ball 38 yards around left end. In a practice game early this week Neidlinger ran 45 yards through a broken field for a touchdown and made two other dashes of 25 yards. The former Andover player is a valuable interference man and in addition can kick and pass in first class style. It appears probable that Coach Jones, instead of substituting him for Aldrich, will start him in the Vermont game.

Princeton will play Swarthmore in its opening game today. The Tigers trounced the same team 17 to 6 last year in the initial contest of the season and are expected to repeat the 1920 win. Coach, Roper's line-up will include seven veteran letter men. They are Lourie, quarterback; Wittmer and Gilroy, halfbacks; Garrity, fullback; Captain Keck and Hooper, guards; and Stinson, end. It is also probable that Dickinson, a veteran at guard, will have a chance to play in the first encounter of the season.

The Tigers are counting on developing an eleven which will repeat last year's victory over Yale and break the deadlock, now of two seasons' standing, with the University. Coach Roper has for material practically every man on last year's eleven, besides the large squad of 1924 players who have become available. Of the men who played against the University in the Stadium in 1920 eight have returned to Princeton this year.

In the game against Swarthmore Coach Roper will as a result pay especial attention to the positions which are not already filled with veteran material. In the backfield he will need a man to take Scheerer's place. Alford and Newby are both possibilities, while Smith, Emery, and Van Gerbig are three former 1924 players who are also available for the backfield.

In the line Lipscomb, a former Exeter star, will fill the place left vacant at center by Captain Callahan. Lipscomb played on the celebrated Omelettes last year and is said to be an even better player than Callahan. Snively will probably start at right and against Swarthmore in the position filled last season by Legendre, a second all-American wing for 1920, while Baker will have the call at right guard. Both Snively and Baker played on the Omelettes last fall. In every other line berth will be a veteran letter man.