ENGLAND AT HARVARD

Viscount Bryce, in appealing for closer relations between collegiate America and England, called attention to the fact that while America is well represented in the English universities, the number of Englishmen studying here is decidedly smaller. The explanation of this condition is simply the greater effort on the part of the English to attract Americans--the Rhodes bequest, for example.

This condition is easily remediable, if a few men of such vision, loyalty to their university, and public spirit as Cecil Rhodes could be found in this country. In fact a start has already been made, though in a small way, by the Harvard Club of New York City, whose fellowship named in honor of Joseph Choate is awarded annually to a deserving Englishman for study at Harvard. In its conditions of award, purpose, and income, it corresponds closely to a Rhodes scholarship, but it is limited to students of Cambridge University. Many more such funds are needed, and their scope should be widened to include the other universities of England, particularly Oxford. Such a fund, from a purely selfish point of view, would be much to the advantage of Harvard. Just as the Rhodes foundation has led Americans in general to think of Oxford first on the list of English universities, Harvard's high place in English esteem will by this means be made more secure. Meanwhile, the underlying less selfish purpose is not to be overlooked to strengthen the bonds of interest between the leading student groups of England and America and to make these bonds more reciprocal.