MEETING FOR SOCIAL SERVICE WORKERS OCT. 5

Mr. F. Lauriston Bullard, Editor of Boston Herald, and Professor James Ford to Speak--Undergraduates to Describe Work

A meeting for all men in the University interested in social service work will be held by the Social Service Committee of the Phillips Brooks House Association on Wednesday evening, October 5, at Phillips Brooks House from seven-thirty until eight-thirty.

Corliss Lamont '24, chairman of the committee, will preside, and four special speakers are on the program. Mr. F. Lauriston Bullard, editor of the Boston Herald, will give an historical survey of social service work, telling of the prominent figures in this line and the magnificent work which they have accomplished. Professor James Ford '05, of the Social Ethics Department, will point out the benefits of the work to the community, and the widespread need for this type of service. Two undergraduates who have taken a prominent part in the social service work at the University, James J. Lee '24, who will tell of the benefits of the work to the worker himself, and Charles K. Cummings '23, who will describe some of his personal experiences in social service work, are also listed to speak.

Concluding the meeting R. P. Bullard '24, secretary of the committee, will give a blackboard demonstration of the system of social service organization at the University, where activities in this work more extensive than those at any other college or university in the country are undertaken.

Four hundred and thirty-two men en- listed for the work last year, and this season, under the present conditions of unemployment, even more workers are needed. Leading boys' clubs, presenting entertainments at community and settlement houses, coaching basketball classes, and supervising groups in Americanization, public speaking, and kindred work is included in the activities of the men.

Two or three hours a week is all the time required of those enlisting, while the work accomplished in that short time is of inestimable good to the community at large