SECOND TEAM BOWS TO EXETER ELEVEN 12-0

Coach Knox's Black-Jerseyed Men Outplayed by Schoolboys in Every Part of Game--Lundell and Bingham Score for Exonians

Showing an unexpected attack and a defense impossible to penetrate, the Exeter eleven swept Coach Knox's scrubs off their feet to the tune of 12-0 yesterday afternoon on the New Hampshire school's home field. The seconds were outweighed and outrushed, from the very outset and never once seriously threatened the Exeter goal-line.

Although Van Lengen, heaviest and most reliable man in the schoolboy's regular line, was unable to play, this section of the Exeter eleven threw back decisively every attempt of the black-jerseyed players to pierce it. The left side, composed entirely of regulars, was especially strong, opening up holes in the scrub line for the Exeter backs again and again.

The first period opened with an exchange of punts which resulted in Exeter taking possession of the ball in the middle of the field. At this point the New Hampshire team uncovered a smashing, elusive attack which brought it to the University 10-yard line before the end of the period was called. At the very beginning of the second period, Lundell, who is a track man and the fastest back on the Exeter team, dashed through for the first touchdown. The goal was not made.

The second and last score came soon after in much the same manner. Exeter profited by an exchange of punts and then broke loose as before. Goddard and Jones went through the scrub line at will, bringing the ball to the 8-yard line. Here quarterback McGlone executed a clever pass to Bingham, substituting at left halfback, who slipped across for a touchdown. Exeter again failed to kick the goal.

For the remainder of the game the seconds tried vainly to push through the Exeter defense. As a last resort Coach Knox sent in J. S. Greenberg '22 for F. W. Pratt '23 at quarterback with orders to start an aggressive aerial offence at any cost. The first attempt, Greenberg to K. N. Hill '24, caught the schoolboy eleven unawares and netted 10 yards. On the next play, however, an Exeter player grabbed the expected forward on his own 35-yard line. The game ended with the ball on the Exeter 40-yard line.

The summary:

HARVARD 2ND.  EXETER.Wilson, Newhall, r.e.  l.e., ButterworthCummings, Wood, Pratt, r.t.  l.t., DriscollShort, r.g.  l.g., SmartGross, Scott, c.  c., Forest, DavisSelf, Wagner, l.g.  r.g., ColbyPalmer, l.t.  r.t., CoadyHirshon, Hill, l.e.  r.e., HardyF. Pratt; Greenberg, q.b.  q.b., Captain McGloneLockwood, Giroux, r.h.b.  l.h.b., GoddardGreene, Hartley, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Lundell, BrighamCronin, f.b.  f.b., Jone