SERIES OF LECTURES ON EDUCATION OF THE BLIND ANNOUNCED

MR. E. E. ALLEN '84 TO CONDUCT COURSE AND LECTURE

The Graduate School of Education, with the cooperation of the Massachusetts Department of Education, Division of the Blind, and the Perkins Institution for the Blind, will give a course of lectures this fall on the education of the blind.

Mr. Edward E. Allen '84, Director of the Perkins Institution for the Blind, and Secretary of the Massachusetts Association for Promoting the Interests of the Adult Blind, will conduct the course and give a majority of the lectures. With Mr. Allen will be associated Mr. Charles B. Hayes, Director of the Division of the Blind, Massachusetts Department of Education. Other students of problems of the blind and workers for the blind will give occasional lectures dealing with special topics.

To Meet on Fridays

The course is designed to give in a short period a comprehensive survey of work with the blind and the semi-sighted. It will emphasize the problems which arise in the teaching of the blind. The course will meet regularly for lectures and class discussions on Fridays, from 4.30 to 6. Demonstrations will be conducted in institutions in the vicinity of Cambridge on Saturday mornings. The opportunities for observation and practice are ample and valuable. The hours have been arranged to make it possible for teachers, school nurses, public health nurses, social workers, and volunteers, whose interests already include work with the blind, as well as for those wishing to fit themselves for service in this special field, to attend both the lectures and the demonstrations.

The first meeting of the course will be held on Friday October 7, at 4.30, in Lawrence Hall, 7 Kirkland street, Cambridge. With the exception of the Friday and Saturday following Thanksgiving and the Friday and Saturday which fall within Christmas week, the course will meet weekly up to and including Friday, January 27.

The course as it will be given represents a great advance in systematization over that given last year.