SOCCER TEAM STARTS WORK

Thirty-Four Candidates Report at First Practice--Strong Nucleus From Letter Men and 1924 Players

Thirty-four candidates for the University soccer team reported yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field to Captain C. W. Heath '22. Since no scrimmaging will be held until Coach Burgess arrives on Tuesday, the squad was put through a stiff drill in the fundamentals of dribbling and passing.

Though an unusually large squad reported, R. W. Heiser '23, J. M. Phillips '22 and H. W. Williams '23 are the only letter men in addition to Captain Heath returning this year.

This nucleus will be strengthened, however, by members of the Freshman team of last year, among whom J. E. Molma '24, L. C. Keyes '24, and Morris Tuttle '24 are practically certain of being first string men throughout the season.

Along with the University candidates, aspirants for the Freshman team, fourteen in number, were also called out. As yet no Freshman coach has been decided upon, but it is very probable that Coach Nicoll of last year's team will again be available.

More candidates for second assistant and Freshman manager are needed, especially for the latter. The successful Sophomore candidate for second assistant manager will become University manager in his Senior year, and the successful Freshman candidate will receive his class insignia. All those desiring to come out should report at the H. A. A. at 11.05 this morning or any time before practice at Claverly 55.