YEARLINGS HOLD FIRST SCRIMMAGE PRACTICE

University Coaches Aid in Drilling 1925 Squad--Candidates Given Stiff Tackling Work--Bayard Wharton '22 to Help Coach Backs

Coach Campbell of the 1925 football squad continued to give his men more advanced work yesterday afternoon when he ordered line scrimmages for the first time since practice began. Four lines, picked from the best material on the field, were put through this drill, under the supervision of line-coach W. B. Snow '18 and W. H. Trumble '15, who came over from the Stadium to assist the Freshman staff.

The short work-out of Coach Fisher's men yesterday enabled two other University coaches, R. M. Sedgwick '21 and D. C. Parmenter '13, to help out on the 1925 field during the latter part of the afternoon. Sedgwick took charge of some of the linesmen, while Parmenter coached the centers. Another permanent aid for Coach Campbell's staff, Bayard Wharton '22, also reported today for the first time. Wharton was on the University squad as a halfback for three weeks this fall. He will assist especially with the backfield men.

Every man on the 1925 squad under-went a stiff session in tackling the dummies yesterday afternoon. Until actual scrimmages start this work will form one of the most important parts of practice. The tacklers on the whole have shown a great deal of dash and spirit up to date, though their form is still a bit ragged.

The backfield men repeated Thursday's tactics of lining up and going through signal drill yesterday. Coach Murray of the quarterback squad is fast weeding out the weaker men under his charge and expects, by the middle of next week, to devote the greater part of his time to the half dozen candidates who have shown the best qualifications for the position.

The appearance of three University coaches on the 1925 field yesterday was the first proof of the fact that the directors of Crimson football intend to make the liaison between the University and Freshman teams more complete this year than ever before. Other University gridiron specialists are expected to give time next week to Coach Campbell's squad.