FOR THE COMMON WEAL

A suggestion in the interest of others:

Out of consideration to the health and enjoyment of others, it is courteously suggested that, during the continuance of a cold or cough, the owner of this ticket may deem it wise to refrain from attendance at all events of the Philadelphia Forum.

THE EDWARD OF GOVERNORS.

The policy inaugurated by the Philadelphia Forum "in the interest of others" might be applied almost verbatim to attendance at college classes. Would it not be wise for the office to post notices suggesting that members of lecture courses, during the continuance of a cold or cough, refrain from attendance at all meetings? We all know how much the lecturer is annoyed, save in our own English 2, by the continuous bombardment of coughs and sneezes to which he is subjected all winter, and how hard it is for us to hear all he has to say; not to mention the danger of ourselves catching the colds. It would be disappointing, of course, to have a cold and be compelled to absent ourselves from a morning appointment. "But there is where the gospel of thinking of others should be practiced."

"What is wrong with this picture?" Why are we involuntarily confronted by visions of the medical adviser's office jammed with hopeful invalids waiting for the doctor's certificate that they cannot keep from sneezing. We come to college voluntarily and pay from fifty cents to a dollar, according to the current tuition rate, for an orchestra seat at a lecture. Yet why, if the office were to back the suggested notice by a promise to excuse all absences forced by consideration of the "health and enjoyment of others," why would the professors find themselves lecturing to empty halls?