TO PRODUCE SOUTH AMERICAN TRAGEDY

"The Witches' Mountain" Chosen by Dramatic Club for Annual Fall Production--To be Given in Latter Part of November

"The Witches' Mountain", a tragedy in three acts by Julio Sanchez Gardel, was announced last night at the open meeting of the Dramatic Club as the play chosen for its annual fall production which will be given in the latter part of November. As a curtain raiser, the club will present a new version of Francois Coppee's "The Violins of Cremona", a costume comedy in one act, translated into English verse by Edgar Scott '20.

The three-act play, "The Witches' Mountain", is a play of the Argentine, and is considered to be one of the masterpieces of South American Dramatic literature. The action takes place on a lonely ranch in the Andes, and becomes at times highly intense, reflecting the national temperament of the Argentines. The translation is the work of Mr. Jacob S. Fassett Jr. An additional interest in the choice of this play is derived from the fact that the Dramatic Club's performance will be one of the first productions of any South American play in this country.

"The Violins of Cremona" is a standard play at the Comedie-Francaise. Edgar Scott, after careful study of performances of this play at the Comedie, wrote the translation, and his version, as the Dramatic Club will produce it, will include all the original business and stage directions of the Comedie.

Following the announcement of the plays and the address by Professor G. P. Baker '87, the heads of the various departments of the club outlined the work of the competitions. Candidates for the club signed up at the close of the meeting.

This afternoon at 3.45 o'clock the plays will be read in Peabody Hall at Phillips Brooks House. Although the competition has already begun, all interested men may attend the reading and sign up for any one of the three competitions without handicap.