AN EXAMPLE OF SERVICE

Saveral months ago Dr. Haven Emerson '96, at that time medical advisor of the United States Veterans' Bureau, publicly denounced that body as an in efficient organization, corrupted by politics. This outspoken attack on graft led to, Dr.Emerson's dismisal by Cols C. R. Forbes, director of the Bureau. But the ball had been started rolling; and after the Bureau had issued indignant denials of Dr. Emerson's charges, communications began to pour in to the newspapers substantiating them. Investigations followed. And now Col. Forbes, in a report submitted to the President on Oct. 19th, turned his back on his own bureau and condemns the army vocational schools, in some of which, he states, the disabled ex-service men have been placed "under conditions that are criminal and relating to slavery." In replay to these charges, two of the institutions specifically mentioned by Col. Forbes are already threatening suit for libel unless he retracts.

A pretty business, this!--must think the taxpayer who has assumed that the rehabilitation of the disabled soldier has been conducted by the best means available to the government. It is disappointing to have to believe that the men charged with so important a public duty should stood to petty politics and mud-slinging. If the institutions have really been backward in their methods, they should frankly concede it and proceed to improve themselves; for no educational institution is worthy of that name that is not willing to listen to suggestions. Col. Forbes, moreover, acts as if he were anxious to divert any attention from his own department, the Veterans' Bureau, by pointing a finger at the vocational schools.

In his original action, Dr. Emerson illustrated the type of service that college men can render in public life, which was described by Theodore Roosevelt Jr. in his speech at the Union last year. While he lost his position by his sincerity, he called the country's attention to a poison that is permeating many phases of federal and municipal government. He has rendered such service before, as Health Commissioner of New York City. We know he will render more in the future.